Tuesday, August 8, 2017

Loving the (Bordallo Pinheiro) Cuteness!

The late Mr. O-P had a darling set of demitasse cups. It seemed strange that a guy like him would have had something so delicate, when he generally drank his coffee out of a rather hefty mug. But, I suppose he found these somewhere, they pleased him, and he bought them. They are China, very delicate, each cup with the name of a foreign hotel. One of these days I'm going to get them out and share them with you, but for the moment they are on a high shelf in the far back of a cabinet because we never used them, what's more, I'm not so sure that he ever used them. So, in my mind, that wasn't a good purchase. It's not that we didn't drink espresso, we did, and these cups would have been perfect, but the handles were small, and they just felt rather awkward in hand.
With this in mind, it would probably seem strange then that I bought a set of demitasse cups on my own. Hold on, I'll explain. I am crazy about Bordallo Pinheiro cabbage plates, and have long wanted a set of cups and saucers, because I'm one of those people who isn't particularly fond of a mug for morning coffee. It just seems so much more civilized to me first thing in the morning drinking out of a cup.
When I spotted this set, I ran them by friend and tablescape blogger, Marigene Purcell, to see what she thought. A big collector of Bordallo, she told me that she had a set of these, but warned me that they were very tiny. Obviously I bought them anyway because I just love cuteness.

I am very happy with my purchase because I can see a lot of uses for these. I can envision them filled with cold soup, or, perhaps fruit salad, or a pea salad. They might look lovely filled with tiny, seasonal blossoms, one at each place setting for a ladies luncheon or tea.

How would you use these if you had a set? I'm open for ideas, although I seem to keep coming up with my own. Wouldn't chocolate mousse be grand served in something like this (rather than my usual of just dipping it straight from the mixing bowl)? Give me your thoughts. You may see your idea in a future blog post.
(People always ask me where I store everything. My answer is generally, "Everywhere!" and this proves it. Here are four of these cups perched on top of a desk in my office.)
This post is linked to:





10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have a thing for cups and saucers, mugs, and bowls. I love different shapes, sizes, and cuteness. These are lovely- enjoy

Linda said...

They are darling! What size are they? Love the way you have them displayed. Yes mousse would be grand served from them. LOL on "just dipping it straight from the mixing bowl" :)

Alycia Nichols said...

Are you kiddin' me??!?!?!? Heck, YES, this was a great purchase! Cute as buttons, and I applaud you for thinking ahead for different uses. I think I might use them with a scoop of ice cream with little cookies around the edge of the saucer to mimic the cabbage leaf shape. Or, if they're oven-proof, maybe a corn pudding (corn and cabbage...get it?) or little cheese grits souffles! Oh, oh, oh.....or a carrot salad around Easter time!!!!!!!! Wow, now you having ME wanting to go out and find a set!!! :-)

Unknown said...

I think this purchase is completely smart and justified! Your serving ideas are all wonderful, and I am inspired by your creativity. I have a little Bordello myself and love it! Wish I had more! I'm so glad you didn't talk yourself out of these adorable mini cups and saucers!

Christine @ Rustic-Refined said...

That's not crazy or silly at all I would buy those, they are beautiful Pattie. Love them!

Madonna/aka/Ms Lemon of Make Mine Lemon said...

I was invited to a Christmas tea. We were served butternut squash soup in beautiful tea cups. Just the right size. Delightful. Your cups are so cute.

Ann @ Corner of Plaid and Paisley said...

Love these! Tiny and delicate. Great purchase! I don't like coffee or tea, but I love tea pots and coffee cups!!! I see sliced up fresh strawberries in them!!!

Jodie Fitz said...

They are totally cute! Great find...

Come share your find at REader Tip Tuesday: http://www.jodiefitz.com/2017/08/15/reader-tip-tuesday-craft-recipe-party/
we hope to see you there xo

xinex said...

These are really cute and I am glad you bought them. Seems like you already have a lot of ideas on how to use them.,,,Christine

Jodie Fitz said...

GREAT find - love them!! Can totally see these in many table setting uses...

Thank you for sharing at the party: I hope we see you at the current Reader Tip Tuesday Party: http://www.jodiefitz.com/2017/08/22/reader-tip-tuesday-party-crafts-recipes/
It's open all week & growing.