Wednesday, June 27, 2012

The Picnic Game


Louise over at Months of Edible Celebrations  is hosting the Picnic Game again this year and I’m joining in.  I’m going to a picnic and I’m bringing:



Frosty Summer Salad with Cranberry, 
Pineapple & Beet

1 16-ounce can jellied cranberry sauce
1 8-ounce can crushed pineapple, drained
3 Tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 cup heavy cream
1 3-ounce package Philadelphia cream cheese, softened
1/3 cup mayonnaise
½ cup confectioners’ sugar
1 cup pecans, chopped
each sliced into four ½” circles
Leaf lettuce

Put cranberry sauce into a medium bowl and crush with a fork.  Stir in pineapple and lemon juice; mix thoroughly, set aside.  Whip cream until stiff; blend in cream cheese, mayonnaise, sugar and nuts.  Beginning with cranberry mixture, alternate layers of cranberry and cream mixtures in 8 5-ounce paper cups (I used Dixie bathroom cups). Place cups into a 9 x 9 pan and place in freezer, freezing until firm. 

When ready to serve, place a cleaned leaf of lettuce on each serving plate.  Using a 2 biscuit cutter, cut a circle out of each beet slice, and place on lettuce leaf.  Remove frozen salad from the freezer and peel away paper cups.  Invert on top of beet slice, pressing down lightly.  Garnish with a spritz of light cream and a sprig of mint.  Let stand at room temperature 15 minutes before serving.  Yields: 8


8 comments:

kitchen flavours said...

Hi, I'm stopping by from The Picnic Game. Your frosty summer salad looks so special! I've never had frozen salad before, a lovely picnic treat indeed!

~~louise~~ said...

I must agree with Joyce Pattie. Just what we need for a hot summer day at the Picnic a cool Frosty Salad. I love that there's cranberries in it too!!!

Thank you so much for joining us on the picnic. Our picnic baskets are just brimming with goodness!!!

I WIlkerson said...

Still working on my Picnic Game food (actually drink) but I am enjoying everything that is in so far. This salad is sooo pretty and what a great idea to use a beet slice as a base.

Mich - Piece of Cake said...

Hi, came across your blog from the Picnic Game. Your salad looks so beautiful! I would love to have some.

Mae Travels said...

Interesting combination of flavors and colors you have put together here! I hope it stays firm while we "travel" to the "picnic site" !

Best from mae at maefood.blogspot.com, also letter A

Kathy said...

This salad looks interesting and delicious! Such a beautiful presentation! I can’t wait to give it a try at the picnic!

Erica Retrochef said...

I looked at the ingredients and went "er?" but that photo looks incredible. I'm going to have to make this :-) Thanks for bringing it to the picnic!

Quay Po Cooks said...

What a lovely treat! Slurp!!